Squirrels - Preventing Damage
- The grey squirrel is approx 40cms in length including its bushy tail and weighs around 500grams.
- A female can produce 2 litters each year in March and July, each litter has 3 to 4 young.
- Commonly seen in urban parks and gardens, the squirrel is active during the day, mainly at dawn and dusk.
- A squirrels nest (Drey) is made of twigs, dry leaves and lined with grass and is approx 60cm in diameter.
- Feeding on acorns, tree shoots, fruit and nuts, the squirrel will dig up plants and bulbs causing destruction in the garden.
- The average life span of a squirrel is 4 to 5 years.
- The latin name for the grey squirrel is Sciurus carolinensis
|Squirrels bury their food for later consumption|
Evidence & Damage
- Squirrels frequent domestic lofts and cause extensive damage.
- They chew through timbers, strip insulation from electrical wiring and water pipes,damage stored possessions and occasionally drown in water tanks.
- Grey Squirrels are destructive in the garden, often burying food in the lawn, and digging up plants and bulbs.
- We do not recommend treatment in external areas; the reason is because like most animals, squirrels are territorial. If squirrels are removed then others will only fill the vacuum.
- In lofts and ceiling voids we would remove the squirrels by using humane traps, which kill the squirrel instantly. It is illegal to catch grey squirrels in live traps and then release them back into the countryside.
- Once the problem squirrels have been removed, details and quotations can be provided for proofing to reduce the risk of re-infestation.
Squirrel Control Essex, Essex Rodent Control, Pest control Essex, Squirrels Essex, Rodent Control Essex